Saturday, November 2, 2013

Reflection #9: Long

I thought this brief article was very interesting. It actually gave me a bit more background knowledge and information regarding the implementation of Common Core, on the government side of things. It was interesting to see some of the priorities expressed in the article that surprised me. I was particularly intrigued that they would have the goal that all the assessments be technology-based. This just doesn't seem like a very high priority to me, and it seems like an expensive thing to implement in all schools, but I understand (as the article pointed out) that it has a lot to do with getting feedback and scores in a timely manner. The only thing that bothers me is that I don't like taking online assessments, and it is a whole new big kahuna for students of all ages and especially those who are not very good test-takers to begin with to learn to take their assessments in a new format online. I was also interested to learn that so many states had tried to resist the implementation of these CCSS. It's one thing to implement the standards, which I think seem pretty good, even though it's so hard to read them all, but another thing altogether to tell teachers their pay will now be tied to scores. My perspective of Common Core has been one that sees it a bit distantly, since it does not currently directly affect my content area of Spanish. However, we have talked as a department about implementing the CCSS in the ELA areas. To be honest, this stuff in common core is really intuitively already integrated into the ACTFL proficiency standards that we try to use in our language classes. Translating a text or reading a simple yet authentic text for comprehension in the target language includes having to cite evidence explicitly from the text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment