Sunday, November 10, 2013

Reflection #10: BBR ch. 10

I thought the topic for this chapter was very interesting. Students clearly have almost unlimited access to technology outside of the classroom. However, at least for me, we don't spend a ton of time during class doing research on the internet. This topic made me think more about how I can provide those opportunities for my students to search the world wide web for information pertaining to our class without wasting too much time. (Because seriously, going to the computer lab is quite an ordeal with 34 students!). I thought the two strategies proposed in this chapter were fairly straight-forward. I suppose I like the SAND technique because it immediately asks students to assess the credibility of the source they are looking at, before getting too immersed in the content. If they site seems credible, it suggests they bookmark it to go back. This seems like a more efficient way to go about finding information, and I think it would be very applicable for subjects like history and sciences. For my class, I think they are generally going to find good information, and even authentic sources can sometimes be hard to tell if they are credible enough for a Bibliography. It's important for us to sometimes use the opportunity to teach students about the more formal processes involved in research.

No comments:

Post a Comment